Friday, February 15, 2008

Devices that use standard USB ports are awesome

This week, my daughter had severe pain in her stomach, so we took her to the hospital to get checked out. Since we didn't know how long we would be there, I took my usual assortment of gadgets, including my new ASUS EeePC. After an hour or so, I realized that my phone hadn't been charged for a while and the battery indicator was in the red.

Most people, don't tend to carry phone chargers around with them. I did however have my little laptop, and also a standard USB-mini cable. So I simply plugged the phone into the laptop which I was already using. A short time later and the phone is fully charged.

Such a simple thing could have easily been an extreme annoyance if I was without a phone and having to contact family members for news or assistance.

The simple fact that my phone uses a USB port for charging has been extremely useful. This is not the first time this has been handy. I can charge my phone almost anywhere. Even if you dont have a USB-mini cable on you, almost everyone has one, either with a camera or MP3 player.

The ability to also connect to the phone using a standard cable that I can buy anywhere instead of a proprietary cable that may or may not be provided with the phone means that I can leave a cable hooked up at work and at home so I don't have to reach behind a computer to plug the phone into it. So simple, and yet so convenient.

Also, I can still charge the phone with the supplied power adapter, or I can charge the phone from the computer.

I can only hope that this becomes more common, as I dont want a new phone unless it has a USB port, because it has been the most convenient and life-saving aspect of this entire phone.

Oh, and the daughter had her appendix removed the next day, is home now, and doing just fine.

No comments: